This document explains how to fix error The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook if it is not working properly or throwing an error while installing, updating, launching/opening, performing action like sending or receiving emails, configuring emails etc.
This solutions applies for following version of Microsoft Outlook:
- Outlook 2016
- Outlook 365
- Outlook 2013
- Outlook 2007
- Outlook 2010
- Microsoft Office (2013/365/2016)
Cause of Outlook Error Code:
- Internet connectivity issue
- Temporary store location is infected with active malware
How to fix Outlook Error The Messaging Interface Has Returned An Unknown Error. If The Problem Persists, Restart Outlook
Step 1: Temporarily Disable Windows Firewall Setting
1. Hold Windows Key + R and Enter “Firewall.cpl” (without quotes)
2. Press OK.
3. Click on “Turn Windows Firewall On or Off”
4. In Private network Setting, select “Turn off Windows firewall (not recommended)”
5. Do the same for Public Network Setting.
6. Press OK.
Note: After the issue is resolved you must turn the Windows Firewall on.
Step 2: Check for system corruption
1. Press Windows Key + R and Type “CMD” (without quotes)
2. Press OK.
3. In command Prompt Copy following commands (Simply select the command and hold Ctrl+C and press Ctrl+V in command prompt)
The system will take some time to check. Let it run for a while. If it finds any issues in “system” integrity it will automatically fix it.
Note: You will need Administrator Access to Run the above command. Simply Right Click on cmd button and select “Run as Administrator”
You can contact our 24×7 customer Live Technician for any help during the whole process.
In most cases Outlook error The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook should be resolved by following above steps. If however the issue still persists it means there is some critical issue with your system which needs to be fixed manually and is recommended to be done by an experienced Computer Technician.