This document explains how to fix Microsoft Outlook error 0x80040201 if it is not working properly or throwing an error while installing, updating, launching/opening, performing action like sending or receiving emails, configuring emails etc.
The error message may look like: “Task ’email address – Sending’ reported error (0x80040201): ‘Unknown Error 0x80040201”
This solutions applies for following version of Microsoft Outlook:
- Outlook 2007
- Outlook 2010
- Outlook 2013
- Outlook 365
- Outlook 2016
- Microsoft Office (2013/365/2016)
Cause of 0x80040201 Outlook Error Code
- Incompatible Internet proxy configuration
- Microsoft Outlook internal Application Conflict
How to Resolve Outlook Error 0x80040201
Step 1: Temporarily Disable Windows Firewall Setting
1. In Start Search box type Windows Firewall
2. Click on Windows Firewall.
3. Click on “Turn Windows Firewall On or Off”
4. In Private network Setting, select “Turn off Windows firewall (not recommended)”
5. Do the same for Public Network Setting.
6. Press OK.
Note: After the issue is resolved you must turn the Windows Firewall on.
Step 2: Disable Proxy
1. Press Win Key + R. Run Dialogue Box will open up.
2. Enter CMD and Click OK.
3. In command Prompt Copy following commands (Simply select the command and hold ctrl+c and press ctrl+v in command prompt)
netsh winhttp show proxy
Note: You will need Administrator Access to Run the above command. Simply Right Click on CMD button and select “Run as Administrator”
If you get the message “Direct Access (no proxy server)“, continue to the next step otherwise disable proxy from Network Settings.
You can contact our 24×7 Live support for any help during the whole process.
In most cases Outlook error code 0x80040201 should be resolved by following above steps. If however the issue still persists it means there is some critical issue with your system which needs to be fixed manually and is recommended to be done by an experienced Computer Technician.