This document explains how to fix Microsoft Outlook error 0x800042109 if it is not working properly or throwing an error while installing, updating, launching/opening, performing action like sending or receiving emails, configuring emails etc.
The error may look like: Service reported error (0x800042109) Outlook cannot connect to your (smtp) e-mail server.
This solutions applies for following version of Microsoft Outlook:
Step 1: Check Proxy Server Settings
1. Press Windows Key + R. Run Dialogue Box will open up.
2. Type CMD and Press OK.
3. In command Prompt Copy following commands (Simply select the command and press ctrl+c and press ctrl+v in command prompt)
netsh winhttp show proxy
Note: You will need Administrator Access to Run the above command. Simply Right Click on CMD button and select “Run as Administrator”
If you get the message “Direct Access (no proxy server)“, continue to the next step otherwise disable proxy from Network Settings.
Step 2:Temporarily Disable Windows Firewall Setting :
1. Press Win Key + R and Type “Firewall.cpl” (without quotes)
2. Click OK.
3. Click on “Turn Windows Firewall On or Off”
4. In Private network Setting, select “Turn off Windows firewall (not recommended)”
5. Do the same for Public Network Setting.
6. Press OK. Note: After the issue is resolved you must turn the Windows Firewall on.
In most cases Outlook error code 0x800042109 should be resolved by following above steps. If however the issue still persists it means there is some critical issue with your system which needs to be fixed manually and is recommended to be done by an experienced Computer Technician.
You can chat one-on-one with one of our Outlook Support Representative 24/7 by clicking on the Chat button.