This document explains how to fix Microsoft Windows error 0xc0000018 if it is not working properly or throwing an error while installing, updating or upgrading Windows.
The error message may look like:
– Windows could not search for new updates. An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer.
– Some updated were not installed. Failed: 76 updates
Error(s) found: Code 0xc0000018 Windows update encountered an unknown error.
This solutions applies for following version of Microsoft Windows:
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
Cause of 0xc0000018 Windows Update Error Code
- Windows Firewall blocking the installation
- System DLL files conflict
How to Resolve Windows Error 0xc0000018
Step 1: Check if your network is behind Proxy:
1. Hold Win Key + R. Run Dialogue Box will open up.
2. Enter CMD and Click OK.
3. In command Prompt Copy following commands (Simply select the command and press ctrl+c and press ctrl+v in command prompt)
netsh winhttp show proxy
Note: You will need Administrator Access to Run the above command. Simply Right Click on CMD button and select “Run as Administrator”
If you get the message “Direct Access (no proxy server)“, continue to the next step otherwise disable proxy from Network Settings.
You can contact our 24×7 Live support for any help during the whole process.
Step 2: Disable any installed Antivirus/Malware/Adware Program Temporarily:
Sometimes Antivirus/Malware/Adware programs mark Microsoft Windows installer files as Spam and block it from installing. Please refer your vendor’s website for disabling it temporarily. Once the installation is done you can activate it again.
In most cases Microsoft Windows update error code 0xc0000018 should be resolved by following above steps. If however the issue still persists it means there is some critical issue with your system which needs to be fixed manually and is recommended to be done by an experienced Computer Technician.