This document explains how to fix Microsoft Office Error code 1402 if it is not working correctly or throwing an unexpected error “Error 1402. setup cannot open the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE32\Software\Classes\CLSID\”. This solutions applies for Office Professional Plus 2013, Office Home, Office Personal, Office University, Office Academy, Office for business, Office Professional, Office Professional Plus, Office 365, Office 2013, and Office 2016. The error code 1402 generally occurs while installing Office, Upgrading office, Opening Office, launching Office, removing/uninstalling Microsoft office or while applying windows updates. This error applies to all Microsoft office Products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, Access, Project, Publisher, Visio, Infopath) and the error generally occurs in Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP and other Microsoft Surface Editions.
- Symptoms of “Error 1402. setup cannot open the registry key”
- Cause of Error Codes
- How to Resolve Error code
Symptoms of Error Code
- You will get error when installing/configuring Microsoft Office
- High memory usage
- Ms Office Application Will Stop.
Cause of 1402 Error Code
- Corrupt System Files
- Windows Firewall Issue
- Microsoft office internal Application Conflict
How to fix Error Code 1402Step 1 Check Proxy Settings:
1. Press Windows Key + R and Type CMD
2. Click OK.
3. In command Prompt Copy following commands (Simply select the command and press ctrl+c and press ctrl+v in command prompt)
netsh winhttp show proxy
Note: You will need Administrator Access to Run the above command. Simply Right Click on CMD button and select “Run as Administrator”
If you get the message “Direct Access (no proxy server)“, continue to the next step otherwise disable proxy from Network Settings.
You can contact our 24×7 customer support for any help during the whole process.
Step 2 Check Internet Settings Configuration:
1. Hold Windows Key + R. Run Dialogue Box will open up.
2. Type inetcpl.cpl and Press OK.
3. Goto Tools and Select Internet Options
4. Select Security Tab and Click on “Reset all zones to default level” if the button is active.
5. Press OK.
Disable any installed Antivirus/Malware/Adware Program Temporarily:
Some times Antivirus/Malware/Adware programs mark Microsoft office installer files as Spam and block it from installing. Please refer your vendors website for disabling it temporarily. Once installation is done you can activate it again.
In most cases error code 1402 should be resolved by following above steps. If however the issue still persists it means there is some critical issue with your system which needs to be fixed manually and is recommended to be done by an experienced Computer Technician.
Recently Added Errors: